Were you recently in a car crash? You may have been able to walk away from the accident, but that doesn’t mean you’re injury-free. After all, the sudden jerking motions of a rear-end collision or other auto accident can damage your neck and back. The best thing to do for your health and wellness is to visit a chiropractor within 24 to 48 hours of the accident. Here are seven reasons to set your appointment right away.
- Check for hidden injuries: Lacerations and broken bones are immediately apparent, but some auto accident injuries take days, weeks, or even months to appear. Non-visible soft tissue injuries, such as whiplash, can be difficult to identify without medical attention. A chiropractor will diagnose your condition so you can begin the proper treatment.
- Secure documents for insurance or legal purposes: Car crashes often involve insurance claims and even litigation in some cases. Having proper documentation of your treatment and recovery efforts helps you navigate any legal or insurance issues with greater ease.
- Heal without long-term medication: If you visit a Medical Doctor (MD) rather than a Doctor of Chiropractic (DC), you might receive a prescription for powerful painkillers. These may seem to do the trick at first, but they only mask your symptoms and may come with dangerous or addicting side effects. Chiropractic services at Effective Integrative Healthcare are always drug-free, so you can heal without taking drugs long-term.
- Reduce the need for future medical treatment: Even if you think you’re not injured, it can’t hurt to see a chiropractor just to be sure. Your car insurance should cover the cost of your medical treatment, and if the chiropractor finds something, you can receive the care you need without risking expensive or painful complications in the days and weeks to come.
- Minimize scar tissue: The muscles in your neck and back may experience micro-tears in the accident. These might not be painful right away, but as these tears heal, they can leave scar tissue behind, creating stiffness and pain across your body. Limit scar tissue and accelerate the healing process with chiropractic care after an auto accident.
- Decrease inflammation: If your spine becomes misaligned in the crash, your body may produce an inflammatory response. Without correcting the misalignment, you could end up with chronic inflammation and pain. Avoid this by visiting a chiropractor without delay.
- Prevent long-term pain: Untreated injuries are a common reason for acute pain to linger and become chronic pain. Receiving a timely diagnosis and treatment is an effective way to prevent your car accident injuries from bothering you months or even years from now.
The auto accident chiropractors at Effective Integrative Healthcare are here to help you recover from whiplash and other spinal injuries resulting from your recent car crash. To start down the road to recovery, please schedule a free consultation at Effective Integrative Healthcare in Millersville, Crofton, or Lanham, MD today.