Are you one of the 39 million Americans who struggle with frequent migraines? This condition is among the most debilitating in the world. After all, migraines are more than just severe headaches—they also cause symptoms such as nausea and vomiting, tingling and numbness, visual changes, and sensitivity to light and sound. Find relief from migraine pain with home remedies. Then, get extra help from a doctor when necessary.
Home Remedies for Migraines
- Change your diet: Certain food is known to bring on migraines. Try avoiding the most common triggers, which include chocolate, processed food, red wine, alcohol, and caffeinated beverages.
- Try aromatherapy: Diffusing lavender oil into the air can help relieve stress, anxiety, and headaches. It may even reduce the severity of your migraines.
- Eat or drink ginger: A study published in 2014 found that the effectiveness of ginger powder for treating migraines is comparable to sumatriptan, a commonly prescribed migraine medication. Best of all, ginger has no side effects (aside from existing allergies).
- Manage stress better: Stress causes muscle tension, a common migraine trigger. Find healthy outlets for stress, such as journaling, meditating, or exercising.
- Take a yoga class: Yoga improves blood flow and reduces muscle tension to help relieve migraine symptoms. Find a local class, or try yoga stretches at home if you’re short on time.
- Try vitamins and herbal supplements: Butterbur and feverfew are two supplements known to reduce migraine pain and frequency. Increasing your magnesium and vitamin B intake if you’re deficient can also help.
- Drink more water: Even minor dehydration can trigger a migraine, so make an effort to sip water throughout the day.
- Go to bed earlier: Aim for seven to nine hours of restful sleep each night. It helps to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
Professional Treatments for Migraines
When home remedies for migraines aren’t enough, visit Effective Integrative Healthcare to try the following professional treatments:
- Acupuncture: Our pain-free acupuncture treatment can stimulate healing and relaxation to help prevent migraines.
- Massage therapy: Massaging your neck and shoulders can relieve muscle tension that leads to migraines. Professional massage therapy is the best way to experience noticeable results.
- Vitamin shots: Low vitamin B-12 levels may contribute to increased migraine frequency and severity. Vitamin shots circumvent any absorption issues that prevent you from getting enough B-12 in your diet.
- Chiropractic adjustments: Headaches and migraines are some of the most common problems treated with chiropractic care.
- Trigger point injections: Do you have chronic muscle tension caused by knots in your shoulders and back? If so, trigger point injections could reduce your migraine symptoms.
These treatments available at Effective Integrative Healthcare are designed to maximize the success of home remedies for migraines. We would be happy to explain more about what we offer and how it can help you! To schedule a free consultation in Millersville, Crofton, or Lanham, MD, please contact us today.