If you’re considering vitamin B-12 shots, you may wonder how a few micrograms of this seemingly trivial vitamin could affect your overall health. Find out more about vitamin B-12, how to determine if you’re deficient, and the benefits of B-12 shots.
What is Vitamin B-12?
Also known as cobalamin, B-12 is a water-soluble vitamin that assists with bodily functions as diverse as energy production, nerve cell health, DNA synthesis, and neurological performance. The general recommended daily intake of B-12 for adults over 14 years old is 2.4 mcg. You can obtain this vitamin naturally by eating meat, fish, and dairy products, or you can supplement your diet with B-12 shots.
Are You B-12 Deficient?
Low B-12 levels have numerous causes. The most common risk factors include:
- Being a vegetarian
- Having diabetes, a thyroid disorder, or another endocrine-related autoimmune disease
- Having a gastrointestinal disorder
- Taking prescription antacids or type 2 diabetes medication
- Undergoing weight loss surgery
- Drinking alcohol or using tobacco excessively
Watch for these symptoms of B-12 deficiency, especially if any of the above risk factors apply:
- Weakness and fatigue
- Anemia (low red blood cell count)
- Numbness, tingling, or strange sensations in your hands, legs, or feet
- Balance problems
- Swollen tongue
- Cognitive difficulties
Benefits of Vitamin B-12 Shots
If you have a medical condition or live a lifestyle that prevents you from absorbing B-12 properly, vitamin shots are an effective treatment option. Injecting the vitamin directly into your muscular tissue eliminates any absorption issues in the stomach. The top benefits of vitamin B-12 shots include:
- Increased energy levels: Fatigue is one of the most detrimental effects of vitamin B-12 deficiency. By making you feel livelier at the cellular level, B-12 shots can greatly improve your quality of life.
- Faster metabolism: If you suffer from unexplained weight gain, increasing your B-12 levels can speed up your metabolism and help you manage your weight more effectively.
- Better bone health: Low vitamin B-12 is linked with osteoporosis. Increasing your intake of this vital nutrient helps keep your bones healthy.
- Reduced risk of eye disease: Elevated homocysteine levels in your blood can lead to macular degeneration. B-12 shots decrease these levels, promoting eye health in the process.
- Boosted mood and mental clarity: The mental health effects of B-12 shots can’t be overlooked. When used in conjunction with other treatments, B-12 can decrease symptoms of depression while increasing your ability to concentrate.
The team of trained medical professionals at Effective Integrative Healthcare administers a synthetic form of vitamin B-12 called cyanocobalamin. The injection takes just a few minutes and helps to counteract the effects of low vitamin B-12. If you notice signs of B-12 deficiency, or you want to learn more about vitamin shots, please schedule an appointment at our Crofton, Millersville, or Lanham, MD location today.