When you picture the conditions chiropractors can treat, what comes to mind? Most people think of backaches, stiff necks, scoliosis, and whiplash injuries. While chiropractic care can certainly help with these issues, realigning the spine has many other beneficial effects. Here are eight conditions you never knew a chiropractor could treat.
- Headaches and migraines: Occasional headache pain is common, but if you experience debilitating headaches or migraines several times a month, chiropractic adjustments could help. Research shows that spinal manipulation is an effective treatment method for headache pain that originates in the neck.
- Stress and anxiety: Chiropractic care releases muscle tension, a common symptom of stress. A spinal adjustment can even ease stress and anxiety at the source by reducing spinal nerve irritation, improving blood circulation, and helping the body manage stress in a healthier way.
- Fibromyalgia: This little-understood condition is often characterized by widespread pain, sleep disturbances, and fatigue. Many fibromyalgia patients benefit from chiropractic care because it treats pressure points and can improve nervous system function. Chiropractors also release vertebrae that are locked in place or misaligned due to muscle tension, thereby reducing the patient’s overall pain.
- Weakened immune systems: Researchers believe that nervous system dysfunction caused by a misaligned spine can lead to a poorly coordinated immune response. By detecting and eliminating spinal misalignments, chiropractors reduce stress on the immune system and help it function more efficiently.
- Arthritis: Chiropractic care is one of the safest therapies you can use for back and neck pain caused by arthritis because chiropractors focus on the relationship between structure and function. They draw upon over 150 techniques to manually adjust the spine, joints, and muscles with varying degrees of force, depending on the location and severity of your arthritis.
- Asthma: Since chiropractic treatment involves realigning the spine and nerves, adjustments can affect every function the body carries out, including breathing. By restoring the body to its natural alignment, the nerves leading to the lungs and other organs are more likely to function correctly.
- Menopause: Women who experience hot flashes, mood and sleep disorders, exhaustion, and other symptoms of menopause may find relief with chiropractic care. If your spine is under stress, the production of progesterone and estrogen, which are already in decline, decrease even more. Realigning the spine helps balance your hormone levels to avoid the worst symptoms of menopause.
- TMJ disorders: Reducing the pressure on your nerves with a spinal adjustment may alleviate pain associated with temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders. You may need additional medical care to keep jaw pain away, but regular trips to the chiropractor can provide much-needed relief.
Chiropractic care isn’t a cure-all for every ailment out there. Still, the advanced chiropractic services available at Effective Integrative Healthcare can address the symptoms and underlying causes of many pain or mobility-related problems. Please contact us online to learn more or schedule an appointment at our Crofton, Millersville, or Lanham, MD location today.