Acupuncture for Children
Maryland’s Leading Acupuncture Provider
Discover Acupuncture from Effective Integrative Healthcare
Acupuncture has been used for centuries to help alleviate various symptoms related to chronic pain, digestive issues, stress, and more. But have you heard about the benefits of acupuncture for children? The team at Effective Integrative Healthcare is dedicated to helping patients of all ages throughout Millersville and Crofton, MD. When an experienced acupuncturist performs acupuncture, the therapy may be a safe way to relieve a child’s pain or stress. If you’re considering your child for acupuncture and have questions, don’t hesitate to reach out.
What is Acupuncture for Children?
Acupuncture refers to Chinese therapy in which tiny, hair-thin needles are inserted into the skin strategically to ease pain and treat multiple illnesses. It’s based on the belief that the body contains energy called Qi, which flows throughout your body on pathways called meridians. When you’re healthy, the energy flows freely, but when you’re ill, it’s slow or blocked. Acupuncture is designed to restore that flow. Pediatric acupuncture is known as Shonishin and rarely uses needles. Instead, this form uses a combination of hands and rounded tools to stimulate the acupoints of the child. We’ll gently and rhythmically rub, tap, and press the skin to produce gentle stimulation sensations.
What Are the Benefits of Acupuncture for Children?
The improved energy flow produced by acupuncture can stimulate the body’s natural healing abilities. Scientific research suggests that working acupuncture points enables the body to release chemicals into the nervous system and bloodstream. The chemicals released can change how one experiences pain and trigger the release of another substance that can help positively influence the body’s internal regulatory system. Here are some ailments which pediatric acupuncture can help treat:
- Back Pain
- Chronic Headaches and Migraines
- Cold and Flu Prevention
- Digestive Disorders
Answering Your Pediatric Acupuncture Questions
Understandably, you may have some questions regarding our acupuncture for children. Our highly trained team has created a list of some of the more common questions we are asked. Sometimes there is no simple answer, and sometimes, there is no short answer to any given question. If you have questions that are not answered or want more information, don’t hesitate to contact us. Here is the most frequently received question regarding pediatric acupuncture:
- How old does my child need to be to start receiving acupuncture? – Children can receive acupuncture treatments as young as three weeks.
- What happens before a treatment? – Before your child’s treatment, you’ll meet with your acupuncturist, who will review your child’s medical history, including medications, diets, and daily habits. If your child is nervous or anxious about their treatment, we’ll spend time with you and your child to get them comfortable with the procedure.
- What happens during a treatment? – During the treatment, the acupuncturist will use a combination of their hand, rounded tools, and needles to treat your child’s ailments. The needles we use are designed not to hurt as much to ensure children only feel minimal pain or a tingling sensation. Each treatment takes between thirty minutes to one hour.
- How many treatments are needed? – The majority of patients will have weekly sessions for four to six weeks, but that will be discussed with your acupuncturist.
Schedule Your Child Chiropractic Care
Acupuncture is a wonderful, holistic approach to health and healing. The goal of treatment is to help encourage your body to find a healthy, energetic balance. The team at Effective Integrative Healthcare is dedicated to treating the root of the problem to ensure all the symptoms can be resolved independently. If you’re wondering if acupuncture could help your child with their ailment, we’d be happy to discuss your child’s specific issue and schedule you for a new patient acupuncture appointment.