Even though an estimated 35 million Americans visit the chiropractor every year, many misconceptions still surround this medical technique. The fact is spinal health significantly affects your overall health and wellness. If you’ve never been to a chiropractor before, consider these 13 surprising chiropractic adjustment benefits.
- Reduced inflammation: Inflammation is tied to many types of chronic pain. Chiropractic care reduces inflammation to improve your quality of life.
- Enhanced flexibility: Tight muscles restrict your movement. Regular chiropractic care helps loosen them up so you can perform your daily activities with ease.
- Boosted athletic performance: With less pain, reduced inflammation, and improved flexibility, your athletic performance gets a boost. You are also less likely to suffer a sports injury when you receive preventive chiropractic adjustments.
- Increased blood flow to the brain: A properly aligned spine increases circulation throughout the body, including the brain. This can provide much-needed relief for people with neurological conditions such as epilepsy and multiple sclerosis.
- Treatment for vertigo: Debilitating dizziness is often the result of a traumatic head or neck injury resulting in a misaligned spine. If you’re experiencing vertigo, a chiropractor may be able to help.
- Lower blood pressure: Chiropractic adjustments targeting the cervical spine, or neck, can be just as effective at lowering blood pressure as taking blood pressure medication.
- Boosted immunity: Your immune system is responsible for fighting off illnesses and infections. Even a slightly misaligned spine could interrupt immune function, a problem easily remedied by a chiropractic adjustment.
- Reduced allergy symptoms: Allergies are the result of an exaggerated immune response. The underlying cause may be a misaligned spine interfering with signals from the brain. If so, visiting a chiropractor could help ease your symptoms.
- Improved digestion: Problems with the nervous system in your thoracic spine, or middle back, can lead to acid reflux, gas, and heartburn. Regular chiropractic care can realign the vertebrae in this area, which may ease stomach issues.
- Maximized lung function: Chronic back pain may reduce lung capacity. Treat your ailment with spinal adjustments, and soon you’ll be breathing deeply without pain.
- Healthier pregnancies: Chiropractic care has been shown to ease pregnancy pain, alleviate symptoms of morning sickness, and make labor and delivery easier.
- Improved balance: Coordination and balance tend to suffer the older you get. Keeping your nervous system in good shape with routine chiropractor visits can help improve your balance as you age.
- Sleep more soundly: Chronic pain and muscle tension from a misaligned spine can wreak havoc on your sleep patterns.
Realign your spine, and you’ll enjoy a more peaceful slumber.
Clearly, chiropractors can treat far more than just a sore back or a crick in your neck. If you’re hoping to improve your overall wellness, consider scheduling a chiropractic adjustment at Effective Integrative Healthcare. We employ a range of advanced treatment modalities to help you live a healthy, pain-free life. Request a free consultation at our Crofton or Millersville, MD office today!